How do I apply for financial aid? 

To apply for financial aid, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and specify O’More College of Design’s school code: 014663. You must apply for financial aid each year that you would like to receive financial assistance.


What are the deadlines to apply for financial aid? 

There are no absolute deadlines. However, we do have priority dates and students who submit all materials by that date will be awarded first. After that, all students will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

  • Fall priority date: March 1
  • Spring priority date: November 1


How do I know if I am considered a dependent or independent student for financial aid purposes? 

There are 13 questions on the FAFSA which you must answer to determine your dependency status for financial aid purposes. Keep in mind that your dependency status for financial aid is not based upon IRS tax filing criteria, but is based solely on your responses to the dependency status questions on the FAFSA.


What if my parents don’t want to help me pay for college? 

Your parents are not required by any government agency to assist dependent students in paying for a college education. However, you will need their information to put together a picture of your family’s financial situation. This helps determine how much help the government can give you to pay for school.


What if my parents don’t want to provide their private information on the FAFSA? 

The information provided on the FAFSA is secure. The U.S. Department of Education will not share your information with anyone except the schools that you indicate and a few federal agencies (like the IRS – if you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool).


What if I don’t live with my parents? 

You must still answer the questions about them if you are considered a dependent student.


Who is my “parent” when I file the FAFSA? 

If your biological parents are living and married to each other, answer the questions about them. If your parents are living together, you will still answer the questions as though they were married. If your parents are divorced or separated, answer the questions about the parent and step-parent (if applicable) with whom you live or who provide the majority of your financial support. Unless they have legally adopted you, your grandparents, foster parents, legal guardians, older siblings, aunts and uncles are not considered your parents and you should not complete the FAFSA using their income information.


What is my “Expected Family Contribution”? 

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the indicator of how much you and your family are expected to contribute to you education. This number is determined by your answers to the FAFSA. However, you will not be billed for this amount; it is simply used as part of our calculation of your financial aid eligibility.


My Student Aid Record states that I was selected for verification. What does that mean? 

Verification is the process whereby we review the information that you reported on your FAFSA and compare the figures to you and/or your parents’ tax returns. The federal processor selects about 30% of our financial aid applicants to be verified. It does not mean that you made a mistake or that you are suspected of misreporting. It simply means that you were picked as part of a sample to be reviewed. If your file is chosen to be verified, it is important for you to submit any requested documents as quickly as possible. Financial aid cannot be awarded to you until this process has been completed.


If I was selected to be verified this year, does that mean that I will also be selected again next year? 

Not necessarily. You will know if you have been selected when you receive your Student Aid Report each year. Some students get selected every year; others never get selected.


What if I want to drop a class this semester? 

Dropping a course may not result in loss of Title IV funds as long as it does not result in a complete withdrawal. However, dropping a course could result in permanent loss of any TELS funds you receive – like the HOPE Scholarship. It could also have an effect on your completion percentage. Please review O’More’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for more information.


What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized Stafford loan? How do I calculate how much I should borrow from the PLUS Loan program?

Before deciding how much to borrow, we recommend contacting the Office of Financial Aid to discuss any outstanding balance or future balance. We recommend that you only borrow the amount necessary to cover your educational experience. Because you are allowed to borrow up to the cost of attendance, less your financial aid, your PLUS Loan eligibility will be reflected on your award letter. However, O’More does not process any PLUS Loans until the parent actively applies for the loan.


How do I choose a lender for an alternative/private loan? 

Alternative loans are consumer loans that should only be considered after exhausting all other federal loan eligibility. In general, they tend to have higher interest rates and the repayment terms are determined by the lender. These loans are credit based and not subject to federal student loan regulations and cannot be consolidated with federal loans for repayment. O’More College of Design cannot recommend any one particular lender. However, we do offer a list of our most frequently used private lenders.


When do I start repaying my student loans? 

For subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans, repayment is deferred until a student graduates, withdraws from school (officially or unofficially), or drops below half-time status. Recipients of unsubsidized Stafford loans may choose to begin paying interest on those loans while they are still in school. Repayment of PLUS Loans is scheduled to begin 60 days after the final disbursement of each loan. For more private loans, periodic enrollment verification is necessary to defer loan repayment while you are in school. If you are seeking to defer loan repayment, request forbearance, or extend the payment period for reasons other than continuing enrollment in school (like economic hardship) you must contact the institution to which you owe payment and ask them about your options.


How do I consolidate student loans after graduation?

Most federal loans can be consolidated into one monthly payment. Visit www.studentloans.gov for more information. There are options for income-based repayments that you should read and carefully consider. You cannot consolidate any private loans with federal loans.


Can I get a listing of all of the student loans I ever received? 

For a complete listing of your loan amounts and lenders, visit www.nslds.ed.gov